beauty

Masking 101 – a little something for mask lovers

Hello my loves!

There are so many types of masks that you can find in the stores: clay masks, sheet masks, hydrating masks, overnight masks,…If you are willing, you can also make your own mask with all natural ingredients like egg, honey, oat, strawberry… but my focus today is to number and explain a little something about types of masks that you can buy.

So, let’s go:

1. CLAY MASKS – one of the most popular types of masks. A few years ago clay masks were made and advertised for an oily and acne prone skin, but that changed. You can find a line of clay masks formulated with natural clay to address a variety of targeted skincare needs: dullness or uneven texture of the skin, oily skin, dryness, dark spots. Detoxifying clay masks are all the rave right now. One of my favorites is L’Oreal Detox and Brighten Pure-Clay Mask that provides a purified radiant and even complexion. Skin looks brighter and has a healthy glow. The other one I have tried recently is L’Oreal Pure-Clay Purify & Mattify Face Mask that helps the skin look refreshed and less shiny. The pores seem tightened and less visible, but it doesn’t dry the skin out.
  2. CREAM/GEL MASKS – these type of masks are usually made with natural and soothing ingredients. I really like Kiehl’s Calendula & Aloe Soothing Hydration Mask. The texture of this orange colored mask is almost marmalade-like. After only 5 minutes on my face, I rinse it with warm water and massage gently in. My skin looks smooth, hydrated and fresh.
  3. SHEET MASKS – Sheet masks are a product that is spread all over the world thanks to the Korean skincare tradition. They are something that Korean women swear by. Some of them even use it every day. They are super beneficial – rushing all the goodness of an essence into your skin. Effect after use differs depending on what it is for: hydration, brightness, anti-aging… They are made from all different kind of materials: paper, hydrogel, cotton,… After 10-30 minutes on your face, you remove the sheet mask and tap the excess of the serum into your skin (always read the instructions). Well known Western skincare type of sheet masks are Garnier ones. You can find them in almost any drugstore. My personal favorites are: It’s Skin sheet masks (every one I had tried was great) and Haruharu ones. It’s Skin Prestige Rose de Black is my favorite sheet mask because it looks cool (it is a black sheet mask) and my skin looks and feels amazing after!
  4. SLEEPING MASKS or SLEEPING PACK – if you are accounted with Korean skincare, you must have heard about sleeping masks or sleeping pack. They are another K- beauty product that swept off the world: something like a night cream, but it does so much more for the skin. As the name says, you do not rinse them off – you go to sleep with it while it does the magic. It is meant to be your last step in the skincare routine. It locks in all the products layered before making the skin hydrated, plumped and soft. Some of them can also be used as a wash-off mask by applying a thick layer and wiping or rinsing off after about 10-15 minutes. I love the COSRX Rice Sleeping mask and you can read my review here.
  5. LIP MASKS – yet again another K-beauty source product. I personally think that they are good for you all year long, but especially in the dead of winter.They are like a lip balm, but on steroids. They can be like a gel patch and you keep it on for a few minutes, and then there are ones in a little jar, similar to any lip balm packaging. But, I will repeat once again: on steroids. One of the most popular lip sleeping masks is a Laneige lip sleeping mask. I love and use the Carnell one – it is highly moisturizing and nourishing.

CARENEL sleeping lip mask

It’s Skin Prestige Rose De Black Sheet Mask

So I’d love to know, what types of masks do you use and love? Write in the comments below.

I hope you enjoyed this post. Until next one…

Love,

Marina

Related Posts

16 Comments

Shariyka Romero
    November 28, 2017 at 1:12 pm

I’ll have to check out the other masks mentioned in this article. Currently, I use the Aztec clay mask and I love it!

Marina
      November 29, 2017 at 1:38 pm

Yes, you should definitely try those out. I really like using them both.

Yiota
    November 28, 2017 at 5:19 pm

I love all kinds of face masks, my fave being clay masks since they are perfect for my oily skin and deep cleanse my pores and also, I love sheet masks because they are so easy to use and fuss free! xx

Yiota
    pinkdaisyloves.blogspot.com

Marina
      November 29, 2017 at 1:44 pm

I couldn’t agree more. I have an oily T-zone and somehow also see the ‘right away’ results with clay masks. But most comforting ones are definitely sheet masks.

Ciara
    November 30, 2017 at 1:39 am

Cool, I’ve been looking to try out a nice lip mask but they’re hard to find! Thanks for the recs

Marina
      December 2, 2017 at 9:10 pm

Hi Ciara. This Carenel one is really good. I have ordered a Laneige lip mask and I read nice reviews about it. You can find samples/mini sizes to try out for a few dollars.

Erin
    November 30, 2017 at 5:27 am

I love face masks so much!!! Loved reading about different masks and some interesting facts! Thanks for sharing!

Marina
      December 2, 2017 at 9:11 pm

Erin, I love them too 🙂 Thank you for reading.

Jackie
    November 30, 2017 at 3:25 pm

I looove Korean sheet masks! Thank you for breaking down the different types of masks… I never really thought about that! I also have wanted to try the L’Oreal masks for a very long time!

Marina
      December 2, 2017 at 9:22 pm

I find Korean sheet masks the best. My skin really likes them. And the clay L’Oreal masks are also amazing. My next purchase will be (Korean) Innisfree Super Volcanic Pore Clay Mask – a cult classic.

Gabrielle Crystal RoseBonniee
    November 30, 2017 at 8:02 pm

That Care Nell one looks totally like a Laneige´s one! ❤ Lovely picks ♥

Blog de la Licorne

Marina
      December 2, 2017 at 9:16 pm

Yes it does. It is really moisturizing. I have just ordered a mini Laneige one so I will compare them. If I like it, I will sure buy a full size because you get a lot for the price.

Andrea Nicole Laranang
    December 2, 2017 at 7:33 am

I love sheet masks and sleeping packs. They made wonders for my dry skin.

Marina
      December 2, 2017 at 9:17 pm

Yes, they are so comforting, especially this time of year.

Kimberly
    December 3, 2017 at 9:08 am

I just recently tried the sheets masks from Sephora for the first time. I’ll have to check out the ones you mentioned.

Steffi
    December 4, 2017 at 7:43 am

I love a good mask, too! I currently have so many sheet masks to try that I really need to get over my slight squeamishness over them, as I prefer a creamy (or clay-based) face mask, and a lot of sheet masks are really slimy… PLUS, they force me to lay down and chill out for 20 minutes, as they’ll slip off my face if I rush around with them on! My oldie-but-goodie is Origins’ Rose Clay mask, but I also really like Tony Moly sheet masks!